Covered California: The San Joaquin Valley’s Resource for Health Insurance Solutions
Everyone needs health insurance because even routine health care services can be enormous costs that most people today might struggle to afford. If you are in the market to buy your own plan, then you’ll want a resource that will help you find the right policy that is still budget friendly. Covered California is our state’s online health insurance marketplace that will help those who need a plan find a solution.
Quote Valley Insurance’s agency team are experts in all the ins and outs of Covered California plans, and we’re here to make sure you get quality health insurance easily and affordably. We can help you qualify for coverage, research your plan options and enroll in a policy today. Call us at (209) 723-2000 or request your Covered California quote online now.
Common Covered California Questions
Covered California is an online health insurance marketplace that the state set up following the passage of the Affordable Care Act. It is a portal for qualifying individuals, families and small businesses to research, apply and enroll in individual or group health insurance plans. Quote Valley Insurance offers numerous health plans provided through Covered California, and we can help you navigate this site to find the coverage that is best for you and your family.
Covered California offers many shapes and sizes of plans, including HMO and PPO policies. All Covered plans will meet insurance requirements set by federal and state law, and are provided by insurers licensed to operate in California. There are six levels of plans:
- Minimum/Catastrophic Coverage
- Bronze Plans
- Silver Plans
- Special Silver 94, 87, or 73 Plans (available for certain applicants who qualify for cost assistance)
- Gold Plans
- Platinum Plans
Each plan will include different cost sharing requirements, premiums, coverage networks and benefits. Depending on your application, you might qualify for:
- Individual plans (including child-only and senior plans)
- Family health plans
- Medi-Cal, California’s Medicaid health plan
- Short-term health plans
- Small business plans
The marketplace also offers various supplemental plans, including dental, vision, travel insurance and newborn health coverage. Your agent will gladly help you compare your plan options to determine which one fits your lifestyle and your budgetary needs.
Anyone can use Covered California. However, the marketplace is one of the best ways to get coverage for those who face qualifying life events that make them need a health plan. Qualifying events include:
- Losing coverage from a previous plan like an employer plan, COBRA or Medi-Cal.
- Reaching your 26th birthday and no longer qualifying for coverage on a parent’s plan.
- Reaching your 19th birthday and losing your child-only plan.
- Losing student health insurance.
- Moving to or within California.
- Being released from jail or prison.
- Having or adopting a baby or fostering a child.
All Covered California plans offer competitive premiums. Your policy’s price might vary based on:
- The type of plan you buy
- Your ZIP code
- The size of your household
- Your age
Your insurer cannot deny coverage or charge you more if you have a pre-existing condition.
Many Covered California plan participants can qualify for certain cost savings incentives. If you are an individual who makes less than $47,520 per year, or a family of four earning less than $97,200 per year, then you might receive:
- Federal & state tax credits
- Premium Reductions if you buy a Silver 94, 87 or 73 Plan
- Lower cost sharing obligations
The relation of your income to the Federal Poverty Level (FPL) will be the factor that qualifies you for these benefits. If your income is:
- 0% - 400% of FPL: You qualify for the Federal Tax Credit.
- 0% – 138% of FPL: You qualify for Medi-Cal.
- > 138% – 400% of FPL: You qualify for a subsidy on a Covered California plan.
- > 138% to 150%: You also qualify for the Silver Enhanced 94 Plan.
- > 150% to 200%: You also qualify for the Silver Enhanced 87 Plan.
- > 200% to 250%: You qualify for the Silver Enhanced 73 Plan.
- 200% to >600%: Enrollees qualify for the California state tax credit.
Expectant mothers, American Indian/Alaska Natives and individuals who qualify for child-only plans can qualify for other assistance.
Most people can only enroll in health insurance through Covered California during California’s open enrollment period, unless they qualify for a special enrollment period. Open enrollment lasts from Nov. 1, 2020 – Jan. 31, 2021. To qualify for a special enrollment period, you must have a qualifying life event (see above).
There is absolutely no charge to use Covered California. Any assistance or quote estimates you receive through Quote Valley Insurance are 100% free and no obligation is required.